On september 13 of this year The Impossible Project ceased to be...or at least their name. Earlier this year the major investor in The Impossible Project acquired the Polaroid name. A logical step is the planned use of the name is it has better brand recognition wth the common public then The Impossible Project. In the days since I have seen many comments on the various media of excited people that Polaroid is finally back. The Polaroid name will no doubt bring more sales for them then the name Impossible Project would bring them. However if the film is rubbish it could backfire of course. The Impossible Project has been trying hard for the last 9 years to recreate the original Polaroid look. Because of restrictions in use of chemicals and the lack of certain chemicals the Polaroid once use it has been a difficult process. Their last generation colofilm is really good. Consistent color and you dan need to shield it as the previous version of their film. At least that is my impression when shooting on a sunny day. With the following photo's I did not shield the film immediately. Within a coupple of minutes you can see the image and after 10 to 15 minutes it is completely developped.
Below the shots I made last weekend in Maastricht. It was a sunny saterday:
Today a quick visit to the area of Leiwen in Germany near the Mosel. So I thought to bring a polaroid camera and a pack of TIP Black and white exprired round frame with me:
In my last weeks at the SASK in Haaselt, Belgium I am still learning. Printing big *ss photo's from New55 negatives. Part of my graduation. Carlo decided to go big with the photo's I shot and I agreed...of course. I always wanted to do this. So 2 prints have been made. Most of the work has been done by Carlo. However I third one is on its way. This time I will do the whole thing. If it works it is part of my graduation as well. If not I have gained valuable knowledge of how not to do something. A couple of photos shot with too little light and too long exposure handheld with a smartphone :-)
Last year I started a 365 day project. I never got to finish it and I realised I never put up the photo's made in the first days of june 2016. Here they are. Unedited:
As promised the results of my little experiment with the Impossible 8x10 positive and chemical pod and a sheet of Fomapan 100 18x24 film. Because of the size I put a sheet of a4 paper in the back to prevent the developer paste from messing up my processor. Unfortunately the focus is way of but I like the photo anyway. So I you have some Impossible positives laying around send them to me :-)
Above photo's are straight scans. No editing besides a little tweak in the scan software. Below some interpretations:
The top 2 photos are scans of the negative. The murkines is the white stuff from the chemicals that I could got of very well with ff-ing up the emulsion. In the original you can see where I scratched the negative. Next step is to contact print the negative.
In the last couple of years I have been working or playing with Impossible 8x10 instant film and New55 instant film. Of course not everything is a succes. And I have to admit that I was the one to blame. For example taking the negative out of the dark envelope of the 8x10 film by accident. Or something similar with the New55 where the envelope was pulled out completely out of the holder.
So I ended up with some chemical pods, receiver sheets and no negative. What do you do? You keep them a couple of years before you start exsperimenting with them :-).
The other day I have prepared the Impossible 8x10 pod with some Fomapan100 film. And I stuffed the tongue assemble of a New55 film into a Polaroid darksleeve with the Polaroid receiversheet. And a sheet of Kodak Tmax 400 en the New55 chem pod. Coming weekend I will make some stunning selfportraits. (Ahum!)
I already did some experimenting with New55 chems and receiversheet combined with Kodak Tmax 400. I let it develop for 3 minutes. I am quite pleased with the results:
I will post my results later. So stay tuned!
Csilla on New55
The photo's you see above are scans of the negative. Below are the same photo's but scans of the positive:
Csilla on 8x10 Impossible film
The second month has been completed. Apparently in my world the month of May has 32 days. Ah well 32 photo's it is. Only scanned no post processing yet.
Behold the first 30 photo's of the project. Unedited and raw. On some photo's I see a line. If that is from the camera I might change camera's. I will decide when May is finished and scanned. For now the photo's: